Heidi, my rescued Shih Tzu, turned five years old today! She was rescued two years ago and has come along way. The poor little dog was abused and had 5 homes by the time she was three. She is so adorable I don’t know how anyone abandoned her let alone abuse her. She is so happy now and smiles all the time in her forever home. I made her a birthday cake and she and her sister, Lexis, gobbled it down!
Bow Wow Beef and Bacon Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 C butter, softened
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil ( I always use olive oil for cooking)
- 1 jar of strained beef baby food (used chicken, it’s Heidi’s favorite)
- 3 lg eggs
- 1/2 C bacon bits
- Stir flour and baking powder together in mixing bowl.
- Cream together butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet mix, stir in bacon bits.
- Pour into greased and floured 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
- If desired, sprinkle a light layer of bacon bits as frosting substitute.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
You don’t want to give your dog a lot of sugar.
- Cream Cheese: Well whipped cream cheese is quite spreadable and tasty too.
- Plain yogurt: Plain variety compliments any flavor cake.
- Peanut butter: Most dogs love peanut butter. Make sure your dog does not have a peanut allergy.
I used peanut butter because I know she can eat it, I put it in her Kong. I didn’t use the other options as they are dairy products and I did not want to give her that much dairy. You know your dog best so use what your dog likes most and is not allergic too. I also threw in about a tablespoon of honey for flavor and it is good for dogs.
Note: I read you can use any cake mix without chocolate as an ingredient. (Lexis once ate a whole 8″ chocolate cake and was lethargic for a day. There is not that much cocoa in cake mix). There are many things you have heard not to feed your dog, but a little will not hurt most dogs. Like people, they are all different.