March 10, 2013-Diamond Pet Foods of Columbia, S.C. voluntarily recalled a limited amount of Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health cat foods that may have low levels of thiamine (vitamin B1).
Thiamine helps cats maintain normal nervous system function. Symptoms of thiamine deficiency may be gastrointestinal or neurological in nature. Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting or weight loss.
No complaints were received regarding the thiamine levels or any other health issues related to the foods, which were distributed in 25 states, Diamond reported.
“We have a process where we continuously test our products, and this process allowed us to find the undesired levels of thiamine in some of our cat formulas,” said Michele Evans, Ph.D., Diamond’s executive director of food safety and quality assurance. “In the event an error occurs, we have the data to quickly alert pet owners, giving them the confidence they demand of a pet food manufacturer.”
The company found no issues when testing all other Diamond brands for thiamine deficiency.
What’s Being Recalled?
• Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula, 18-pound bag, code NGF0703, best by 10-Jul-2013, sold in Massachusetts.
• Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula, 6-pound bag, code NGF0802, best by 15-Aug-2013 or 16-Aug-2013, sold in Florida, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.
• Premium Edge Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula, 6- and 18-pound bags, code NGS0101, best by 03-Jan-2014 or 04-Jan-2014, sold in Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Oklahoma.
• Premium Edge Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula, 6- and 18-pound bags, code NGS0702, best by 10-Jul-2013, sold in Florida, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.
• Premium Edge Kitten Formula, 6-ounce samples and 6- and 18-pound bags, code MKT0901, best by 26-Sept-2013, 29-Sept-2013, 30-Sept-2013 or 02-Oct-2013, sold in Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.
• Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula, 6-ounce samples and 6-pound bags, code MKT0901, best by 30-Sept-2013, sold in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.
• 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula, 5- and 18-pound bags, code NGF0802, best by 14-Aug-2013 or 18-Aug-2013, sold in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.
What to Do?
Pet owners seeking more information or who desire a replacement product or refund may call the Pet Food Information Center at 888-965-6131 or go to www.petfoodinformationcenter.com.
To read the U.S. press release, click here.
- Diamond Pet Foods Recalls Several Types Of Cat Food (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Diamond Pet Foods voluntarily recalls cat food (whas11.com)
- Cat Food Recalled In 25 States Including Michigan (fox17online.com)
- Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) (fda.gov)