1. My life is likely to last 10, 15 or more years. Remember that before you adopt me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don’t be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.
3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you. Respect is earned, not given as an inalienable right.
4. Don’t be angry with me and don’t punish me. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.
5. Talk to me. I will understand.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget it, and if it’s cruel, it may affect me forever.
7. Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I don’t ever want to do that.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or I am just getting older.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and special attention.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you.